Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Patient Patient

As someone seeking extensive medical treatment, I do a lot of waiting. I wait for test results, I wait on insurance authorizations and reimbursements, I wait to see new doctors, I wait for treatments and therapies to work and I'm waiting to get better. Because I believe that God has a plan that requires all this waiting, I try to sit back and let things happen in their own time. But I'm ready already!!

This morning I waited (very patiently I must say since I had a level 4 (out of 5) migraine) on my primary care physician who I see about every 4-6 weeks. While he is a good doctor, he could use a refresher course in professionalism.
A regular follow-up appointment can take 3 hours and that's only counting 30 minutes of doctor-patient time, at most! Today I was in the exam room by 8:02 for my 8:00 appointment which was the first appointment of the day. And then I waited. And waited. I finally heard the doctor ARRIVE at 8:25. Once he came in to the room, I had to wait a good ten minutes for him to review my file before any conversation took place. I understand that doctors are very busy and often get off-schedule and I actually appreciate a doctor that sticks around to answer all my questions. But what is the point of scheduling an 8 o'clock appointment if the actual start time is 8:30? Why should I be on time and organized if the doctor is not (and he never is!)? Why do I give him (and others) my time and money, only to wait for them to get around to treating me?

Being sick (or I guess "not well" in my case) is expensive to say the least. I'm blessed to have worked for a company that provides me with long term disability for as long as I need it and offers great medical coverage. However, keeping up with insurance--who owes who and how much--is a full time job. It seems logical that a procedure or appointment that is 100% "eligible" when asking ahead of time should be easily billed and payed in a timely manner afterward. What I have learned is that NOTHING is logical when it comes to insurance. I'm literally waiting on several thousand dollars of reimbursement. Just last week I got an explanation of benefits that was not paid because the doctor (a different one this time) did not put the patient ID number on any of the bills. So, while I wait for the bills to get corrected, resubmitted and paid, that part of my treatment is on hold. I'm worried that this break will not only delay my recovery but actually cause me to regress. All I can do is wait and see.

They say that patience is a virtue and I would like to think that it's one I possess. I've literally watched years go by while I "wait" to get better. I schedule my entire life around when I can see the right doctor or get that one test that may have the answer. My patience is dwindling, that's obvious, but what choice do I have...except to wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment