Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stuck In The Belly

I'll admit, I'm lost. Actually, stuck may be a better way of describing it. I'm in the middle of something, a transition I guess, and I don't really know how to handle it. Yes, I have a lot of great things working in my life: a wonderful fiance and a beautiful wedding coming up, a loving and supportive family, a budding relationship with God, and a slew of other things. When I think of transition, I think of physically going from one place to another--note the word "going." To me, going implies actually moving and ending up somewhere else. While part of that is true, for me, and I think for most people, transition also takes place on the inside. Without losing who we are, we change. I used to think, and I've been wanting to think, that transition happens quickly. I find myself saying all the time "When is this going to be over? When will I be done with this...phase...of my life?" What I've realized is that transition can, and does, take a long time. Usually longer than we would like.

Since I've been unable to work, which is going on almost two years now, I really haven't known what to do with myself. I mean, I did the obvious necessary things like go on long term disability, sell my house, move (twice), go to the doctor, etc. But I haven't figured out what to do besides be sick. I often dwell on the past and wonder how I got to this place in my life. Many times I think to myself that things would be so much better, so much easier, if I had my old job and the income that came with it. I get into a "woe-is-me" train of thought and think that if I felt better and if I could do more things, I wouldn't be such a burden to to others. I'll be honest, this period of transition is very uncomfortable, and not just because I physically don't feel well (although that doesn't help!).

I recently lunched with an old friend from high school. Although she may not know it, this list-loving lady is a role model for me. After a fantastic meal, we engaged in wonderful conversation for several hours even though we literally have not seen each other since we graduated (oddly enough, I have Facebook to thank for reigniting this friendship). Anyway, through our discussion she helped me see that even though things are hard or times are tough, you can and will get through them. I see that she did and that helps me believe that I will, too. So, even though the present is a struggle for me, I have faith that things will get better, that I will not be permanently stuck in the middle, in the belly if you will, but that I will end up on dry land. However, to do so, I must embrace the difficult times, not run from them.

1 comment: