Friday, May 14, 2010

Love and Pain

Love is a funny thing. It's usually uncontrollable, as in you love your parents or your children for the simple fact that they are your kin. Falling in love is the same--you don't decide who you are going to fall in love with, it just happens, at least in my experience. Love is also a great thing. It can bring out the best in people, cause them to do things they may have never done otherwise, and allow them to see and experience life in new ways. I love love.

Pain is a funny thing as well (physical pain, specifically). Like love, it is often uncontrollable. You don't choose to have pain just as you don't choose to fall in love. Pain can sometimes be diminished, managed, even cured. But sometimes it can't. Sometimes no matter how much medicine you take or how much therapy you do, the pain is still there. Eventually, and unfortunately, you learn to live with it. I do not like pain.

When pain and love mix, things become...even funnier. Extreme physical pain can cause the emotional feeling of love to take a backseat. It can turn you into a different person entirely, a person you don't recognize and certainly don't like. As the pain takes over, sometimes it takes every ounce of energy to control the anger and resentment you feel for and because of that pain, the pain that never goes away. These feelings blind you to the point that all you see, hear and breathe is pain and they often get physically directed at the one(s) you love the most. While you know the love you feel is still present, it can be very difficult to find amidst the pain. This is not a good feeling. It’s without question that pain does not feel good but feeling as though you can only feel pain is worse. Trust me.

It pains me (pun intended) to know that when I’m in physical pain, I cause emotional pain to those around me. It pains me more to I know there is little I can do to change it. Sometimes the only remedy is a sincere “I’m sorry.”

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Jess. Sounds like you could use someone who understands. I can't relate to the physical pain, but I can relate with my "brain pain". I feel the same way-- that I'm somehow causing emotional pain to those around me. Sometimes, for me it's tough to trust that those people who are affected will stick it out with me. It's an awful feeling. I hate that feeling for you. I send you hugs and good vibes and a reassurance that your loved ones will be patient and love you despite your unbearable pain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suffered from migraines when I was in high school. It was infrequent, but I would panic when the aura would show up (usually a glowing butterfly shape directly in my line of sight).

    I have some really severe gout issues (unpredictable, intense, and crippling joint pain). It caused some difficulties for Beth and me the summer we got engaged. I was not fun to be around. Couldn't sleep, couldn't move, couldn't think. But she stuck with me. The people who know and love you best can see the you behind the pain. Its a blessing to have those people.

    - kurt

    ReplyDelete